MrsGreenThumb

I am a lover of horticulture, gardening and the environment. At age 8, I sent away for a package of Zinnia seeds for 10 cents and I've been hooked ever since. After 25 years of being self-employed, I retired. That only lasted 4 years and I now work in a water conservation program: I buy grass from homeowners who are willing to convert to desert landscaping and lose that thirsty green stuff. I pursue what interests me and you can blame my sister for getting me into this blogging thing.

Friday, April 14, 2006

The Rain Forest - Part 4


The aerial tram through the rainforest was amazing. In order to preserve the pristine forest, as well as giving visitors the chance to observe many different types of plants, everyone is required to take the tram. First we went on a lower level, then through the top of the canopy of the forest. It amazed me to see how plants have adapted to this environment. Some change color to protect itself from being eaten. We seldom think of plants that way.
Some are bright to attract pollinators... birds, bees, etc. The little beauty on the right is a lipstick plant, the petals look like lips. Some plants have adapted so they can actually move into the light. On the left is a walking palm, if I remember correctly, it can move a foot a year. It is very bright at the top of the rainforest but quite dim near the floor. The picture on the left is near the floor of the canopy, the right picture shows the top of the forest. The last picture shows the lowly ant, cleaning the debris from the floor of the rainforest. One ant carries it back to the nest and others sit on top of the cut leaf cleaning it's surface. Look closely and you'll see these determined insects.

2 Comments:

Blogger bornfool said...

Very interesting information and really, really beautiful pictures. I just love studing artifacts of different cultures. Their beaty and intricacy always amazes me.
The tram sounds like a great way to view the rainforest.

April 15, 2006 8:53 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

The Tram, Wow...what a way to see the rain forest, without much destruction. That walking Palm is amazing...nature is so neat...I love it.

The pictures are beautiful and thank you so much for sharing your trip with us.

April 15, 2006 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home