MrsGreenThumb

I am a lover of horticulture, gardening and the environment. At age 8, I sent away for a package of Zinnia seeds for 10 cents and I've been hooked ever since. After 25 years of being self-employed, I retired. That only lasted 4 years and I now work in a water conservation program: I buy grass from homeowners who are willing to convert to desert landscaping and lose that thirsty green stuff. I pursue what interests me and you can blame my sister for getting me into this blogging thing.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Dick Tracy would be proud

I was thinking about motherkitty's blog the other day about not keeping up with the times and learning new computer skills. I thought about all our childhood toys..Dick Tracy watches, walkie talkies, etc. We pretended to really talk to our playmates.

Well, I've come a long way. Today I'm surfing from my wireless laptop toughbook computer. I'm eating lunch, and I can entertain myself by reading my email and the news, while signed in wirelessly. I will read various blogs to catch up with all my blog friends.

I just love a good toy, I have two cell phones, one personal, one for work. Then there are three computers, home, work and mobile. Digital cameras for work and instant gratification. We have digital voice recorders, atomic clocks, satellite television. I even have a washing machine that weighs the load, uses 40% less soap and water, computes agitation time and sends a message to the dryer via a computer cable telling it how long to dry the clothes. Our grandkids have gameboys, x-boxes and PS2's. Just go to Costco and Fry's Electronics, the possibilities are endless.

I don't get nostalgic for party lines, ice boxes, wringer washers, or manual typewriters. I remember sitting on my grandmother's bed, listening to her stories of the old country. She emigrated here in 1905. It seems they had electric street cars in Kiev and horsedrawn streetcars in Chicago. As kids we had radio shows like "The Shadow" and Amos and Andy. Finally some neighbors got a TV, we went over to see Howdy Doody. My parents used an old mechanical cash register in their grocery store and an adding machine that had a handle you pulled every time you wanted to enter an item.

Now we have bar codes, self check out, wireless everything. We can talk across the world instantly on our cell phones. Personally, I'm loving every minute of the electronic revolution. You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming back to the "simpler life". I'm just waiting for those teleporters so I won't have to commute to work.

6 Comments:

Blogger Motherkitty said...

Very cute. Thanks for the plug.

You forgot all about iPods!!! They even make them now with little TV screens for streaming video. And picture cell phones that are better than Blackberries. They do everything you can imagine on a cell phone.

Actually, I want one of those laptops that you can write on. Saw 'em on TV yesterday. They are made by Gateway and the screen swivels around. Very cool. I also want a new and improved digital camera with a better zoom. You know that one of my favorite HGTV shows is "I Want That."

Yeah, you can keep the good old days where we used to wash clothes on the old wringer washer down in the grungy basement, used powdered starch, put dad's pants on pants stretchers, and hung all the clothes out on the line to dry. We also didn't have air conditioning, a dishwasher, a TV, or any electrical appliances. No thanks. I also remember the old ice box. Real romantic having to empty the drip pan when the ice melted. Or, the old phones that you had to talk to "Central" and give them the number you were calling.

I'm with you. I can't wait to see what new and interesting inventions are coming down the pike in the very near future! Good post, sister.

March 04, 2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, you have every technology thingy going! I do well just to do blogging and e-mails.

I wouldn't want to go back to the hard life of the old days, but I do get nostalgic for some of the things back then.

I love Curb Appeal, Designed to Sell, Home Hunters, and lots of the other shows on there. So neat what they come up with!

March 04, 2006 4:34 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I've only been playing with computers for about 2 years and I love it. I have a cell phone which is no big deal...just keeps you in touch. I love all the new gadgets and can't wait to see what they come up with next. I'm nuts for electonics.

There is only one drawback that I'm beginning to see with the pc...that the more I'm on it the fatter I have become. I no longer get up and go outside like I used to LOVE to do...now I go straight to my pc and remain there for hours.

I love all the modern conveniences, but I miss the exercise that I use to get from just plain moving around and doing things.

March 05, 2006 9:50 AM  
Blogger Ciardra said...

Hey Grandma, how are you? I gotta be quick, but I thought you really should read this link.

I REALLY recommend it!

http://www.webtree.ca/tree/keeper/dogs_in_elk.htm

March 05, 2006 11:47 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

You have passed me by in much of the technological revolution. I'm a dinosaur I guess. I am looking forward to those teleporters, though.

March 07, 2006 8:44 AM  
Blogger The Four Bears in the Woods said...

Hi MrsGreenThumb.
I am fairly new at this too and I just stopped over from Abandoned in Pasadena's blog. Just wanted to say hi.

We have a computer, cell phone, and digital camera which I just got yesterday (will take me a month to figure everything out on it!). And I can't forget Baby Bear's game systems, he has several of these. Doesn't leave home without them.

I do like some of the conveniences of living today but I still think I would like to live back in the days, mainly because there didn't seem to be as much crime back then, even though you did work harder.

But I do have to say I love some of the modern day gadgets.

Have a great day. I enjoy your garden pictures. Very nice!!

Mama Bear

March 10, 2006 4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home