MrsGreenThumb

I am a lover of horticulture, gardening and the environment. At age 8, I sent away for a package of Zinnia seeds for 10 cents and I've been hooked ever since. After 25 years of being self-employed, I retired. That only lasted 4 years and I now work in a water conservation program: I buy grass from homeowners who are willing to convert to desert landscaping and lose that thirsty green stuff. I pursue what interests me and you can blame my sister for getting me into this blogging thing.

Monday, July 24, 2006

The Circle of Life

I've been taking a bit of a hiatus from blogging since our 3 oldest grandchildren are here for a visit. We just returned from a trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. We enjoyed the trip and it reminds me of the quality time I was fortunate enough to spend with my grandparents. They passed away a long time ago but not before enjoying the pleasures of grandchildren and great grandchildren. Being with our grandkids for an extended period gives us a chance to bond with them. Since they live on Long Island and we're almost a continent away, it's pretty hard to maintain the closeness I had with my grandparents. They lived upstairs from us in a 2-flat when I was 6 and older. The kids are now busy with their own lives so we have to make a real effort to keep up that contact. I want them to tell their grandchildren stories about us and the experiences we had together.


So we plan trips where we aren't distracted by TV, work and life's distractions. Here we are sitting on the porch of our cabin playing Scrabble. I love Scrabble. I have had my set for over 40 years. Would you believe we lost 2 pieces, an e and a u through the floorboards of our cabins? It was worth it. There was much laughter and silliness going on. I beat them 3 games in a row. Did I ever tell you how competitive I am at games? No one wants to play with me. Finally they ganged up on me and won a game.

We went on some nature walks and visited some archaeological ruins left from the time when indigenous natives, the Anasazi, lived in and around the Grand Canyon. It is such an awesome place. You realize how insignificant you are in the scheme of things. Also at 8000 feet above sea level, you realize how out of shape you are. I realize I'm sinking into decrepitude. Nonetheless, experiencing this wondrous place and sharing it with your grandchildren has to make it even more special. The rock formations are breathtaking. It's been over 20 years since we visited this grand park, pun intended. The visions from that prior visit remained in my head and I felt privileged that I had the opportunity for another visit. A lot of the forest on the canyon's rim has been burned in recent years. The drought in the west has affected remote places like the Grand Canyon. We saw acres and acres of burned Ponderosa pines and white fir. The fires are nature's way of managing the landscape.

It was an opportunity to extend my knowledge and interest in wildflowers and photography. The two eldest are taking photography classes in school this year. I didn't develop my interest in photography until my 40's. I pursued my education by studying it for 5 years and having a successful career in it. Never say no to an opportunity. I hope the message that you should pursue what interests you and do it with a passion comes across. I see way too much apathy in people. They make "safe" choices in life. My philosophy is that you only go around once, have the best time you can. I'm having a great time getting this message across to my grandchildren. I hope they are enjoying it as much as I am.

8 Comments:

Blogger Carole Burant said...

Sounds like you are really enjoying having your grandchildren with you and I bet they're enjoying themselves tremendously:-) Your pictures are so beautiful and the Grand Canyon is something I've only read about in books or seen on tv...how I'd love to see it in person one day! They say you don't get the concept of its size unless you're standing right there!

July 24, 2006 5:01 PM  
Blogger Alipurr said...

Boy, they have grown into such amazing young men and women. I have wished many times to have been able to have spent more time with them as they have grown. You are a wonderful grandma, and I know those kids will never forget all the love and time you have invested in them.

July 24, 2006 6:21 PM  
Blogger Motherkitty said...

The kids are grown up and gorgeous. I'm sure you've had a wonderful time with them and I'm also equally sure that you will miss them when they go home on Thursday.

The pictures of the canyon are grand! I hope you guys had a great time on your little trip to the big ditch.

July 25, 2006 4:26 PM  
Blogger Judypatooote said...

Your grandchildren are beautiful. Isn't it just an amazing feeling to share a vacation with your grandkids.....My trip to Williamsburg with my Ali and Jenson is one I will never forget, and the pictures are worth a million to me......

July 26, 2006 1:47 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I am one of the fortunate grandma's. Most of my grandkids live close enough to see them on a daily basis...and the others are a city away.

Your vacations with your grandchildren are something that they will never forget, just as you have not forgotten your memories with yours. I didn't live close to my grandmother in Pasadena, but I remember every visit I spent with her & my grandpa. Grandchildren just don't forget...and it's nice that you plan these wonderful vacations with them.

July 26, 2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

What sets you apart from most people is your obvious passion and your energy level. I really admire you and what yo have acomplished.

July 29, 2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger bornfool said...

Sounds like a great visit. I love scrabble, too. I'd take you on. :)

July 30, 2006 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

breathtaking photos indeed. i went to the grand canyon last year... really wished i had time to see it from the less traveled nothern rim. thanks for sharing.

August 01, 2006 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home